Monday, June 21, 2010

How can I know what torque to apply to a Nylon 6/6 standoff? thread is 8-32?

A steel, zinc plated screw will be used with this standoff.





Use mcmaster.com part number 92319A760 as reference for the standoff.





Let me know how can you calculate that.


Thanks.How can I know what torque to apply to a Nylon 6/6 standoff? thread is 8-32?
I'd ask the manufacturer (or is this shop made?). Why don't you tighten one down with a torque wrench and see when it fails? As far as calculating it, because of variables you're probably better off just testing it. You'd have to know the shear strength of the material and the thickness of the thread, the pitch and characteristics of the nylon and translate the torque to some linear value to make a guesstamet. Too much work and you probably won't get any closer than just testing it. Just my humble opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
pigment